If you can read this, your browser is broken. You may want to use a free, standards-compliant browser such as Firefox or Mozilla .

:: Kayaks and Snorkeling

During the planning stages of this trip, I told my dad that one of the main things that Amy and I wanted to do was go snorkeling. My dad came through for us by finding a place that does half-day kayak/snorkel trips in Maui, along a volcanic rock coast. Amy and I were pretty happy to be getting out and doing stuff in the water. Unfortunately, the group met at 7am (the water is clearer in the morning), so we had to get up at ~5am in order to make the drive over to the other side of the island. Upon arrival, we went through a whole spectrum of emotions. In addition to being excited and groggy, we were also a bit terrified- the dirt parking lot was like a kayak boot camp, where instructors rushed though survival training, trying to get their troops off into the water in time for some beachhead invasion. It wasn't long before Amy and I found ourselves paddling a two-person kayak through the crashing surf of the beach, towing a pair of mesh bags with snorkel gear.


We paddled out to a staging area, where we met the rest of our group. There were about twelve of us (in two-person kayaks), led by two guides (in one-person kayaks)- which was probably just about the right size. We all paddled over to our first dive spot- a region along a tall, rocky coast-line. Here, we learned that the plan was to put on our gear, hop out of the kayaks, and swim around while a guide held on to our boats. This was a big change of plan for Amy and me- we thought we would be paddling to beaches and then swimming out. This made our underwater camera, which we had placed in a dry bag, unobtainable. Plus, getting in and out of the kayak was a bit tricky. The benefit of this approach was that it let you snorkel in deep water. We spotted a young sea turtle (Amy saw two), as well as the usual cast of tropical fish. Eventually the group was rounded up, and we all flopped back into our kayaks.

Our type-a guide mentioned something about leaving our snorkel gear on or putting it in a bag, and then pointed to another rocky beach in the distance that we'd be going to next. I opted for putting the gear up, as I had already had paddling problems on the way over to this spot. Unfortunately, Mr. Type-A got paddling before I was done packing up, so I had to settle for putting the mesh bag in front of me, only partially loaded. At this point, I should probably say that Amy and I had been having a lot of trouble with our kayak. We had a lot of trouble going in a straight line, and found ourself zig-zagging more than anyone else out there. The guides told us that we (and Todd) had gotten one of the bad kayaks that was hard to steer, and a little tipsy. It wasn't long before Amy and I were in the back of the pack, followed only by one of the guides.

So.. about midway between dive spots, a long way from land, this rolling wave comes at us from the side and tips the kayak over. Doah. The two of us and all our gear go in the water. Fine. We tread water, and after a few tries, we're able to flip the kayak right side up. It took a lot of effort since we had taken our flippers off, but we were both able to climb back in the kayak. A quick check reveals that we somehow still have all our gear (Amy had luckily caught my snorkel mask). Ok.. So we start to get oriented again, and begin turning the boat towards our group (who are beginning to disappear in the distance). Just then, another rolling wave comes at us from the side and flips us back in the water. We repeat the righting process, but this time we find that my snorkel mask is nowhere to be found. Damn. Tired and beaten down, we paddle to catch up with the group.

When we finally make it to the dive spot, everyone is flopping around having fun, except for Todd. Todd's sea-sick and feeling bad (I like to think out of sympathy for us). I borrow a mask from one of the guides and swim out to the middle of the rocky inlet that we've stopped at. There were lots of fish, but its hard to pay attention when all you can think about is how you're the only ones that are having trouble with the kayaks.

Things picked up though at the next dive spot. On the paddle over to it, the guides pointed out a pair of dolphins that weren't too far from us. Some people said they saw some whales in the distance, but Amy and I couldn't tell if it was just the ocean. The last dive spot was really cool- they said it was a turtle cleaning station, where sea turtles come to have certain fish eat the gunk off their shells. We saw a pair of large turtles sitting around without a care in the world at the bottom of the ocean. One of them came up for air only about ten feet from us. It was pretty cool seeing such a big creature so close in the wild.

Uhh, yeah.. Looks like I'm wearing a life-jacket under my shirt

Finally, it was time to get out and go home. This turned out to be a bit terrifying, as the exit beach was a collection of rough rocks and harsh waves. We had to go in one at a time when the guide said the waves were right. I think we all got knocked around a bit by the rocks, but in the end, everything came out fine. Overall the kayak trip was pretty cool. We just wish that it hadn't been so hurried, and that we had been assigned a good kayak. We got back to the house at around 1pm, and just crashed for the rest of the day, arms exhausted from all the paddling.

Go to the Comments Page
:: Trains, Shops, and a Luau

Since we were still worn out (and sore) from yesterday's kayaking, today was a bit of a low-key day. We started off by going into Lahaina (webcam) to catch the sugar train. No, that's not the name of a famous pimp-mobile, it's an old steam train that used to move sugar cane from the fields to a processing plant on the west side of Maui. We caught it in Lahaina, where there's even a working turn table that rotates the locomotive.

Dad checks out the turntable (taken by Todd)

The train ride was cute, but not as scenic as they made it sound. Basically, you got a nice view of the hills, the underbrush, and several of the resort golfing courses. The golfers at least gave the kids on the train someone to wave to. Most of the golfers even waved back (after they put their monocles back in place to see what all the hubbub was about). The ride was ok though- it's nice to get a little variety on a beach trip.

"No, take a picture of ME" (taken by Todd)

The train spews steam on the golf course

The train returned to Lahaina, so we decided to check out the town. The place was pretty crowded because it was a "boat day". A boat day is when some cruise ship dumps its seasick passengers on the town so they can restock on kitsch. Anyways, we wandered around a bit. Besides an endless supply of stores, the town's big attractions were a crusty old wooden ship, and an enormous banyan tree. The tree was pretty amazing- it occupied the entire park it was in, which was a couple of blocks long. I guess what banyan trees do is drop new roots from their tree branches, so they can better distribute the load and become larger. Wow.. if trees had professions, I'm sure many banyan trees would be engineers.

Needs a haircut

Wow, matching shorts (taken by Todd)

The other big thing we did today was go to a luau for dinner. My dad had reserved us a table at an outdoor luau that promised an enormous amount of food, cultural events, and unlimited drinks(!). Amy and I vowed that we would have to test out this unlimited claim.

However, before we even left the house we had problems. On the website for the place, they neglected to mention how dressy the place was. This is a big deal to Amy and me, because we don't dress up much, and hate looking out of place. I ironed my only pair of khakis and threw on a semi-Hawaiian shirt, while Amy put on a nice dress outfit. When we stepped out of our guest house to join the rest of my family, we discovered two doah-able things. First, Amy and I had over dressed a bit (which is just as bad as under dressing). Doah. Then.. we noticed that my Dad and brother.. were wearing the same semi-Hawaiian shirt. Doah. Apparently it's the only dress shirt my brother had packed, and my mother had bought two for one at a sale. Being a dad, my dad had a good healthy attitude of "whatever". Being a son, Todd was quietly furious at the situation. We kept our mouths shut. I figured the shirts would encourage Todd to concentrate on the unlimited drinks.

At the luau, the first thing they wanted to do was give us leis and take our picture. Heh heh.. I thought to myself, I don't care what it costs, I've gotta get me a copy of that picture. Heh heh.. The photographer even did a good job of putting some space between the people with matching shirts.

A few mixed drinks fix everything (taken by camera lady)

The luau was pretty cool. As promised, they had unlimited drinks. Unfortunately, they limited the amount of liquor in the drinks. Ah.. well, at least I got a nice collection of tiny umbrellas. The dinner was awesome. They brought out several courses, each from a different culture of the Pacific. Even better- they made Amy a series of special vegetarian meals. This was especially cool, since we had forgotten to phone it in ahead of time. The cultural dancing was decent as well. They brought out a fire twirler guy at the end that would have left Beavis in a stupor. Anyways, we all agreed it was worth it.. Todd was even in a good mood by the middle of the night, and even laughed when we asked him "sooo... you drunk enough to talk about the shirt yet?".. Heh heh..

Go to the Comments Page
:: The Last Few Days

Ok, so I'm getting sick of writing about Hawaii, so I'll just merge the last few days together into one post. Wednesday, we picked up a second rental car because everyone was sick of cramming into one car. Amy and I promptly took over the new car, and went on a little driving adventure of our own. We stopped off at the Iao Valley state park, which has a short hiking trail through this deep valley. Below are a couple of pictures. The pointy thing is the Iao Needle.

When Amy and I returned to Lahaina, we stopped off at Snorkel Bob's, a friendly chain of snorkel/scuba rental shops in Hawaii. Snorkel Bob sounds like a real likeable guy with a good sense of humor. For example, check out the instructions for returning rental gear that are on the back of the receipt:

Detailed return instructions

Amy and I picked up some snorkel gear and headed to a quiet, public beach just down the road. We went in with low expectations, because the weather was looking overcast and the rental lady said it wasn't so good out today. However, the snorkeling turned out great- plenty of fish, including several puffers. Good stuff. This would be the last of our snorkeling luck though. It rained Thursday and Friday. Amy and I drove west on Thursday and were able to get around the rain. However, the water was pretty rough and we didn't really see any fish. Good body surfing though.

Lots of rain on the last day

Friday, the rain was unbelievable. It's the kind of stuff one sees in a hurricane (being from SC, I should probably mention that I was in Hurricane Hugo). There was enough rain that the floor of the guest house that Amy and I were staying in started to flood. Needless to say, most of the long winded posts on AN were written at this point. Friday night, we went into town and watched a comic magic show. The guy put on a really good show. Well, so long as you stayed out of his way- he was one of those guys that rails on people in the audience to keep people on their toes. Funny stuff. I still don't know how he got that second bowling ball to come out of his hat. Yep.

Go to the Comments Page
:: The Long Trip Home

Well, that pretty much ends the trip to Hawaii. Saturday we flew from rainy Maui to sunny Oahu, where we had to wait for our connecting flights. While my parents didn't have much of a layover, Todd, Amy, and I had a good six hours to kill. Amy and I were feeling adventurous, so we convinced Todd that we should all check our bags and catch a city bus back to the area where we had stayed last week. Eventually, we wound up at the beach near our old hotel, where we watched the sun set through a clear sky. We made Todd's day by going to a Spaghetti Factory that I spotted from the bus. Afterwards, we caught a taxi to the airport (with a passively angry driver), where we filled out a few last postcards. I was quite pleased that our little spur-of-the-moment side trip had worked out so well. It's the unplanned stuff like this that makes traveling interesting to me.

Click for a sunset movie. Never mind the legs.

The flight back was of course awful. Amy and I landed in San Francisco at about 6am Sunday, cold and tired. Our plan to take public transportation back home was thwarted when we realized that BART doesn't start running until 8am on Sundays. Following the wise traveler's advice of "money solves everything", we rented a car and drove back home (that's still about 45 minutes of solid driving, btw). As bad as it was for us, the rest of my family had it worse. I think my parents arrived in Charleston a few hours after us, and poor Todd didn't get back to Boston until late afternoon. Oof. I wound up sleeping for most of the day.. I can already tell, it's going to be a long week at work..

Go to the Comments Page
:: Bling-de-la-Bling

So.. now that I have dental insurance from work, I decided it was time to take that sailor's mouth of mine in for a tune up. When I got there, one of the questions on the form stumped me- "How long has it been since your last visit?". The answer took a lot of thought, because the last few years have been such a blur. Grad school was kind of a limbo land, where I had no sense of time other than big events (getting married, defending my thesis, getting a free donut at Krispy Kreme, etc). Health and dentistry are just things you try not to think about when you're a broke grad student.

Anyways, I pieced together my last dental experience, and tie it to the time period in 2000 when I was living in Pasadena. Amy and I were driving from LA to San Diego, and I bit this fancy square of chocolate with "real raspberries" in it. The seeds from the raspberries got stuck in one of my molars, and then proceeded to function as a wedge that split a good fourth of the tooth off. We were in an unfamiliar place, with no dental insurance, no dentist, and an unknown amount of oncoming pain. I panicked for the rest of the day, but luckily, the pain wasn't bad (the worst of it was smoothed over by a giant margarita in old town). A few months later I had my home town dentist check it out. He said that it needed a crown, but since I didn't have dental insurance, I told him just to put a temporary filling on it. That filling popped off a week later, in a mouthful of chips and salsa at La Fonda. Nothing else has happened with my mouth, until last month, when I visited a dentist in Livermore. He said I needed to have a few fillings done, and that I should really have a crown put on the broken tooth. Under the magic of full-dental coverage, I decided to go ahead with it.

Ow. Ok, so maybe I do have a reason to be scared of dentists. Man.. That drilling is something else. It's like a party in your mouth, but all the party people are drunk, angry ska kids that like to punch holes in dry wall. The worst bit was the crown- they basically have to whittle away what's left of your tooth so they can put a enamel top on it. The grinding took about an hour and four big shots of novocaine to the jaws. The fitting was another half hour, and it felt like they were erecting a little fence in my mouth using tiny plumber's wrenches. Ouch.

"Flava Flav says Uuuuuuungh"

However.. things took a change for the better when I saw what they were going to cover my tooth with for the next few weeks: a gold cap. Bling-bling. Cool. I'm so money, in terms of 1990 fashions. I had to rush home and tell Amy, "Aehee book at mah bwing-bwing" (the novocaine still hadn't worn off). Awesome. Maybe at the next visit I'll see if I can have all of them done.

Go to the Comments Page
:: SCUBA Class

About a month ago, Amy and I finalized our plans to go see our friends Tim and Cambria in the Caribbean for a week in March (see pics from our previous visit). This time our friend Pete is going to join us (or rather, we'll be joining Pete, as it was his idea to do this during his spring break from law school). In any case, we all decided that it would be cool to try some SCUBA diving while we're down there. Since Pete and I don't know how to dive, we both enrolled in SCUBA training classes (Amy also took a one night refresher course). So.. for two nights a week for the last three weeks, I've been driving over to Dublin for training at a place called Cap'n Aqua's.

While repetitive at times, the class has been pretty interesting so far. On Monday nights, we have classroom meetings, where the instructor basically explains SCUBA stuff and then tells us diving stories of dumb things he's seen people do. On Wednesdays, we go over to this outdoor Olympic-sized pool, put on all our gear, and practice in the water. I should point out that it is February, and that while the pool is heated, you've still got to get into and out of the wet suit outdoors (and wet). Too bad I didn't bring a camera- we all looked kind of cool afterwards, walking around in our wetsuits with steam wafting off of us. Anyways, it's been interesting, but honestly, I'll be glad when the class is over. It's tough taking a class after 9 hours of work, especially when you have to pay attention to things that your life might depend on.

This weekend we're doing the last part of the class: an open water dive. I've been dreading this dive a bit for a couple of reasons. Mainly it's because the dive will be in Monterey, where they say the water is cold, cloudy, and loaded with kelp. Kelp bothers me a bit, just because out dive instructor has told us that every year they have to fish a couple of dead divers out of the kelp forest (I should point out that most of these divers panicked, and didn't do basic emergency procedures, like ditching their weight belts). Like most of the California coastline, Monterey can also have strong underwater currents that pull you away from your buddies in a hurry. Oh yeah, and then there are the normal things to worry about with SCUBA diving, like how you're strapping your oxygen supply to your back, and that you don't live for long without it.

Anyways, the drive to Monterey got underway at around 9pm tonight (Amy had to work late and I had to pick up gear from the dive shop). It was raining in Livermore when we left. There's nothing like a good two hour drive in the rain at night to make you contemplate all the worries that you have for the next day. Worry worry worry..

Go to the Comments Page
:: Open Water Dives

Today, my scuba class did its first set of open water dives at Monterey. The day started off pretty hectic. I managed to misestimate how much time it would take to get up, find breakfast, and make it down to the beach in time for our 11am meeting. My nervousness about being late was purely invented, though- my dive class is pretty casual, and if anything, the dive master wondered why we had showed up on time. I had plenty of time to think about this myself, because we spent the next half hour or so by our gear in the parking lot, waiting for our class's turn to get into the water.

Bright flippers make it easier for them to find the body

Ooof. So, one of the things that sucks about scuba diving is putting on all the equipment when you're not in the water. Being that I'm about as buoyant as Pamela Anderson, I've got to wear a weight belt with about 30-35 pounds in it. Throw in a full wet suit, fins, and an aluminum air tank, and you've got one heap of heaviness to carry to the water. My clumsiness was also increased because it was the first time I had to wear a hood and gloves in the water. I waddled into the waves, praying that I wouldn't get knocked over and steam rolled by the surf.

As I was walking in, I remember thinking "hmm, you know, the water isn't as cold as I thought it would be." Then, I put my face into the water so I could see my feet as I was putting my fins on. My next two thoughts were "Holy crap" and "I must not have pulled the chin part of my hood all the way up" as the coldness shot through my face. The shock made it that much harder to tighten my fin straps, get oriented, and over to my dive master. The hood also made it very difficult to understand what anyone was saying. When the rest of the class started to submerge, I figured I should do the same. Easier said than done, though-even with the 30 pound weight belt, I had to constantly kick to stay down. Oof. Fortunately, the instructor had some additional weights with him that he could load me up with. He stuffed the right side of my vest with a sack of weight. This kept me down, although it also made me pitch to one side when I swam. Ooof. We did a few basic skills tests, and then followed the instructor on a tour of the water.

I think these guys lost their car keys or something

There wasn't all that much to see in the bay that day. The water's visibility was only about 10 feet, so we all scrambled to stay close to the instructor. The fish weren't that big, but there were tons of colorful starfish. Our instructor also found a well-camouflaged crab, and this, flabby thing he said was a Spanish Dancer. It's hard to describe the dancer, it sort of looked like an uncooked filet of meat that flapped away when our instructor touched it with a starfish. Odd.

The day's second dive went much better than the first for me. This time I went in with more confidence and got situated in the water a lot faster. We did some more skill tests and another tour of the bay. I paid a little more attention to my breathing, and was able to control my depth better just by taking larger or smaller breaths as I needed them. Pretty cool. At the end of the day, our dive master revealed that he had only used half a tank, while the rest of us had cleaned out two tanks (plus he had gone on one more dive than us that day). He also told us that while he was 300 pounds, he only needed 20 pounds of weight to keep him down. I guess there's a lot you can do to get yourself conditioned to staying underwater.

"Now everyone, punch your neighbor"

The class broke up at around 3pm. Amy and I went back to drop some of the gear off and get changed. We avoided the downtown part of Monterey and cruised over to the south side (pebble beach?). Amy showed me this nice resort where her dad comes every year for a math conference. We walked down to the beach and watched a tai-chi class practice by the water. A few surfers braved the rough waves (and were pretty good). We then headed into town and found this amazing Mexican restaurant.. Mmm.. maybe it was just that we hadn't had a real meal all day, but the food was incredible. We ended the night early, super tired from all the day's events.

Go to the Comments Page
:: The Old Nerd and the Sea

We returned to the pier this morning for some more open water diving, after a solid night of sleep. The first dive today was the trickiest of the whole course because we had to perform a few of the more complicated skills. Once we got out into the water, we had to take off both our buoyancy control vests (the thing the air tank is attached to) and our weight belts, and then put them back on. I'd had some trouble with this in the pool since I'm a bit clumsy, so I was worried about doing these in the open water. Fortunately, we only had to do these on the surface, and the water was pretty calm. It took a lot of flopping around in the water, but I eventually got the vest and belt back on and functioning.

Later on in the dive, we had to practice a shared breathing ascent. That's where you're underwater and you "calmly" motion to your buddy that you need to borrow their spare air hose and go up to the surface. Our diving instructor had a hard time not smirking when he described the hand signal dialog that goes along with the acquisition of a spare air regulator. He then admitted, "Ok, so if I'm out of air and you're near me, you'll know I want to borrow your spare regulator because I'll be clawing at your vest trying to get it into my mouth." In any case, everything went fine when I had to do the ascent with my buddy.

Making sure my spare regulator works

For the last dive on the trip, all I had to do was pick out a course and go explore it with my dive buddy. At first, I thought everything would be cool because my buddy said he didn't want to do anything difficult. However, once we get in the water, he tells me that he wants to go through the kelp forest and swim all the hell out to this boat that's a long way away. After convincing him that we should probably not get too far into the kelp, we set off. Before long, we were through the kelp and at the maximum depth for the dive (just 30ft). He signals me that he wants to go to the surface, so I meet him there. Is there a problem? Nope, he just wants to talk about how great wet suits are. Huh? He does this like three or four times during our trip. Given that rising and sinking takes time and effort, this was all kind of annoying.

The seals were not impressed

My dive buddy was also bad at navigation. I kept a close eye on our position, direction, depth, and air supply ("I can't fight this feeling"! or is that REO Speedwaggon?). Every time I'd try to get him back on course (basically just a loop back to shore), he'd start pulling towards deeper water. My air started getting close to the limit that we were told to hit the beach with, so I made him come up, so we could swim back to the beach on the surface. Crap. We were a long way out for this kind of swimming, and as I realized, my legs were already tired from two days of diving. It took a long time for us to get back. At least I was the responsible one.

Back on land, our diving instructor had a BBQ lunch waiting for us. Mmmm.. I learned something else today- guys that are 300 pounds and have their own BBQ rig probably know how to cook good food. We ate it up while collectively scrambling to fill in our dive logs with all the right numbers. It felt good to have completed the class. I'll admit that I was nervous about the whole thing, but now that I've done it, I can say that I feel relatively confident that I can keep my head during a recreational dive.

As we were leaving, I noticed that there was a diver out in the water waving his arm over his head. Funny, I thought, that's like the sign for help or something. At first I figured that it was just a guy in one of the emergency rescue classes (we'd seen people practicing mouth-to-mouth on the beach, earlier). Then this diver yells out "call the coast guard". Crap. Dive instructors on the pier start scrambling to the beach, as people in kayaks start rushing out to the guy. While they're hauling him back, fire trucks and an ambulance show up and rush down to the water's edge. The kayakers bring him back to the EMTs, who immediately put him on oxygen. Eventually, the guy gets up and is able to walk it off.

We joined the rest of the pier in watching all of this unfold. As is typical of bystander crowds, we never found out what happened or how serious things really were. One lady told us that she was a local, and that this kind of thing seems to happen every other week down here. Doah. Good thing I heard this after I did my dives. I dunno.. My friend Gary from work said that when he did his open water dives at Monterey, they were pulling a diver out when he was going in. When Gary came out of the water, they were putting the diver in a body bag. Yikes. Maybe we won't be doing so much diving in California.

Anyways, that pretty much ended the weekend. The only other thing to report from the trip is that there is a town between San Jose and Monterey called "El Bano". Even if there's no tilde over the n, you'd think that they'd pick something different. Yep..

Go to the Comments Page
:: Domain Expiration Problems

Argh.. so, just before we left for Monterey, I got this email saying something about how my domain name craigulmer.com had expired and that it was being shut down. Huh? I thought I had another year left on it. Plus, I noticed that the message was from a company that was different than the company I had registered the domain with. Knowing that there are a lot of shady people out there in the domain registration business, I decided that the message was probably some kind of scam to get me to switch domain registrars. To be on the safe side, I checked to make sure the website was still up, and that my registrar still had me in the system. The registration site gave one of those dll errors when I tried to log in (which has happened before). I nervously gave up for the day, since I had to drive to Monterey that night.

When we returned on Sunday night, I found that my site had in fact been shutdown. A place holder webpage (w/ lots of popups) was now where my website should be, and email for that website was completely down. Crap. I patched together a new email account and wrote my registrar to ask what was up. After a lot of time, my registrar wrote back and informed me that he was a "reseller" of domains, and that he had just bought my domain from someone else. wtf. Why hadn't he mentioned this when I was buying the domain? I looked through my filtered email and found that the people who had actually registered my domain had in fact sent a warning letter a few weeks ago. Had I known that they were the ones in charge, I would have renewed with them. Fine. Whatever. What do I have to do to get it back?

Here's where it gets nasty. The company that had registered my domain, dotregistrar.com, has a policy of holding on to expired domain names for 30 days. They give you three options for getting it back: (1) you can buy it back now.. at 15 times the normal yearly rate, (2) you can put your name on a wait list to get the name at the end of 30 days at four times the yearly rate, or (3) you can do nothing and hope nobody grabs the domain name after it's put back on the market. I asked the Kellegous and John what they'd do. Both gave me horror stories they'd heard about expired domains getting sucked up by bot scripts run by people that want to sell the domains back to you at outrageous prices. Worse, some people grab up old domains so that they can get all the email that gets sent to the domains (for either spam address harvesting, or identity theft).

Screwit- money solves all problems, right? I decided to just pay the ransom and get my domain back. Easier said than done. When I contacted the registrar, they said that my middleman would have to do it since it was registered under his authority. When I contacted the middleman, he said that I had to contact the registrar myself. Wtf? I wrote a few times, and finally got him to realize that he was going to be the one that had to re-register the domain. I guess on the bright side of things, he gave me the reseller rate on the registration process. Yeah.. it's only costing me $150 this year for craigulmer.com instead of $225. All this because I tried to save $15 last year by registering at a cheap domain company instead of some place like register.com.

While I was at it, I decided to re-register my other two domains for five more years at register.com. Once I get over the shock of all this, I'll probably transfer craigulmer.com over to there, just because this whole thing disgusts me. Domain names are messed up, and are just another sign of how purely capitalist systems screw the public over. Weak.

Go to the Comments Page